Wednesday, May 11, 2011

25 Reasons why I love Oprah - Number 21: "Everybody gets a car!"

Reason 21: "Everybody gets a car!"

I remember the premiere episode of season 19, the "Wildest dreams" season not only because it started with an instantly world renowned car give-a-way but because my little brother was in intensive care. Austin had just had steel rods placed in his back and was having a rough recovery. My parents were tired and worn, spending every moment at Austin's side and school had recently started for Jake and I. Regardless of what was going on in life, we were all worried.

I turned on Oprah that afternoon, like I had so many times before and since, not knowing how the show would touch me. I didn't mind that I wasn't one of the people that got to run from the studio out into the parking lot to claim their gift, I didn't want a car, I wanted to spread joy. While chaos ensued, when ever possible I looked for Oprah and literally saw the combination of joy and generosity radiate from her. If I was able I would share that kind of joy and excitement with anyone and everyone I could. In that moment I wanted to share that love, hope and generosity with my family who was in need of a supportive buoying spirit. Oprah taught me just what she intended to that day, that dreams do come true and that hope and generosity induced happiness still exists. I hope to one day be responsible for the generous impetus that begins a never-ending  joyful and thankful domino effect. 
(Feel free to stop the clip after once the rapping starts. Not everyone can be Will.i.am if you know what I mean.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment