Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Blogging about Nora and her blogging-like style

Does Nora Ephron have a blog? Given her subtle mentions of distaste with technology in I Remember Nothing, I would guess that she does not. Which really is too bad, because I would eat that stuff up everyday.

I love Nora Ephron. She writes how I think. And though I think differently depending on my mood or the given situation, so does Nora. I also love that her name is "h" less. N-O-R-A, there's no need for that unnecessary, breathy "huh" and the end. Anyway, moving right along.

I think I connect with Nora's writing because my best self relates to her. When I read her perfectly-sized, morsels (she would love that I used a food related term here, go me!) of experience I feel as if I have experienced the same thing she is describing (or at least dream to at some point in my life). Either through her experience or through a connection to a similar experience of my own.

I think it all comes down to the point that her candid writing gives me hope. Hope that people like me (yes, I'm suggesting I'm similar to a 70 year old woman, anyone shocked? Nah, I didn't think so.) with our crazy idiosyncrasies and obligation to always feel as if we are at fault for an issue that didn't even involve us can really live out the dream and not be squished by the cynics of the world.

I savored I Remember Nothing for over a year all for one purpose, to hold on to the pleasure that is reading Nora's words for as long as I could. I admire her bravery and constant tact, unfolding actual conversations that took place and baring her true feelings about the ticket-taker girl, the meat loaf that was named after her (which she accepted praise from friends about, even though she had nothing to do with the dish, again something I might do...) and her love/hate relationship with Blitz Scrabble.

And of course our most important shared quality, a love for journalism and New York. Here's a quick, poet quote that stuck with me from "Journalism: A Love Story":

"I'd known since I was a child that I was going to live in New York eventually, and that everything in between would be just an intermission. I'd spent all those years imagining what New York was going to be like. I thought it was going to be the most exciting, magical, fraught-with-possibility place that you could ever live; a place where if you really wanted something you might be able to get it; I place where I'd be surrounded by people I was dying to know; a place where I thought I might be able to become the only thing worth being, a journalist. And I'd turned out to be right." -Nora Ephron 

And the only thing that could be sweeter than spending a magical lifetime in New York? Realizing that you were able to live your dream and relish it. 

"The other night we were coming up the FDR Drive and Manhattan was doing it's fabulous, magical twinkling thing, and all I could think about was how lucky I've been to spend my adult life in New York City." - Nora Ephron, "The O Word"  

I love New York City too, Nora. And I hope to catch Manhattan doing "it's fabulous, magical, twinkling thing" soon. Until then, I will continue to explore the city and pieces of our similar lives through your words. That is, once Amazon gets two of your other books to me later this week. I'm not obsessed, I swear. 

2 comments:

  1. I'll bet Nora could have been just as happy in a small city in Iowa (like Francesca!). New York...psshhh. What an overrated city! Does New York City have any college football teams that have won BCS Bowls lately? That's what I thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, fellow blogger, I was just wondering when your next entry was coming out? I'm anxiously awaiting...

    ReplyDelete