Saturday, February 25, 2012

An Oscar Tribute to Meryl (even though Viola will win)

I've been meaning to write this post ever since the Academy Award nominations were announced. But I think I was destined to wait until now. Last weekend I had a Miss Congeniality-like moment (and those don't happen often, so this was a big deal!)while watching my recording of Oprah's Oscar Special on OWN (everyone watch, especially if you have Nielsen cable boxes!). The O was interviewing Viola Davis (who else would she be interviewing this awards season? And yes, she stayed consistent to the race card when she talked with Octavia Spencer as well) when the moment occurred. In the middle of Viola's sentence I caught myself slipping into a Cheryl from Rhode Island-like stream of consciousness when I thought to myself, "She's so kind and smart (and important), she's definitely gonna win."

So, I rest my case. Even though I don't expect to see Meryl ascend the steps to the Kodak Theater stage on Sunday, I do anticipate extra love and happiness radiating toward Viola from her way. This post, a retrospective of all of Meryl's Academy Award nominations is dedicated to the lady who always comes up short and the beautiful films that represent her losing streak; for she too is kind and smart and important.

Nomination 1: The Deer Hunter (1978) - Best Supporting Actress

Watch this film. If for nothing else but the never-ending dance scene (Ryan adores this film, but that portion especially!). In all seriousness, it’s a moving film, crafted powerfully to depict the time and emotions associated with war. Meryl is young and innocent, naturally void of any pretension, a quality she’s maintained throughout the years.  Highlight of the film: poignant moments of silence.



Nomination 2: Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) - Best Supporting Actress (WON)


In a supporting role, Meryl does't get much on screen time. But she makes the best of her limited appearances, bringing a depth and humanity to an otherwise cold and troubled character whom audiences would not have found any resonance with.


Nomination 3: The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981) - Best Actress


Meryl fan fail: I’ve actually never seen this film. Blame it on Netflix, it took them too long to add it to their library. I’ll be honest and say that the name didn’t exactly inspire me to run out and find it either. Her grace and lingual abilities (accent #1!) are on display though this clip. I’ll make time to see it soon.


Nomination 4: Sophie's Choice (1982) - Best Actress (WON)


Oh Sophie, I could write a book on this performance but am at a loss for words to sum it up shortly. A monumental character (and superb supporting cast) characterized by top-notch dialect (native Polish speakers say the speech is flawless) and larger-than-life story backdrops and scenes.


Nomination 5: Silkwood (1983) - Best Actress 

Who would have guessed Meryl could rock a mullet? Well, Silkwood proves the point. She's not afraid to get gruff and reveal the haggard realities of life in this film based on Karen Silkwood's life.

Nomination 6: Out of Africa (1985) - Best Actress
I've seen this film once, and not under the greatest of conditions. It was broadcast late one night (more like in the middle of the night) on one of those classic movie channels. I picked up on another out of this world accent even though the volume never rose over ten.

Nomination 7: Ironweed (1987) - Best Actress

This film was not what I expected it to be. Though strange and different from anything else I've seen Meryl in, it has it's crowing jewel moments. Like the rendition of a song I now carry in my heart everyday (whether I like it or not!). 

Nomination 8: A Cry in the Dark (1988) - Best Actress

The Oscars love a good biopic and Meryl can transform herself into a dead-ringer for nearly anyone. Another accent, another moving embodiment of a newsmaker who's humanity was never considered from the public's view.

Nomination 9: Postcards from the Edge (1990) - Best Actress

Another biopic-esque film, Meryl's finally allowed to let her funny (and surprisingly sarcastic) side out. I love this movie for that reason exactly. She's the lady who can play someone from anywhere, leading whatever kind of life you can imagine, but she can also play Carrie Fisher, just trying to put her life back together. Another plus - the banter between Meryl and Shirley McClaine is top notch.

Nomination 10: Bridges of Madison County (1995) - Best Actress

Though Sophie's Choice is a beautiful love story, I think this film will live on as Meryl's epic love story. Her immensely powerful performance is subtle and quiet, which works so beautifully with the film's organic ebb and flow plot line. Up there with the best love stories of all time, this one makes we cry every time.

Nomination 11: One True Thing (1998) - Best Actress

First off, this cheesy video does not do this film justice. Though I've only seen it once, I can tell you that Meryl doesn't only live gracefully on film, she declines and dies gracefully that way as well. A stunning tribute to any family who has suffered the sickness and loss of a dear loved one.

Nomination 12: Music of the Heart (1999) - Best Actress

By this time Meryl has been entertaining audiences for twenty years. Now she finally decides to reveal that she's a musician as well. Way to keep that hidden forever... geez.

Nomination 13: Adaptation (2002) - Best Supporting Actress

I'm not going to lie, this movie is whacked out. I doubt my intellectual abilities in writing this, as I did while watching the film, because I know there is something there that I'm just not quite reaching in understanding the purpose and drive of the film. Or maybe it's purpose it to be purposely cloudy. Either way, this clip alone is Meryl gold. She makes playing like you're high look pretty fun (Waring: Stop video a little early if you don't want to hear a random F-bomb).

Nomination 14: The Devil Wears Prada (2006) - Best Actress

Another role that I could write a book about. This is the boss I dream I could be... some days. Then I remember that I love people and the world and could never be that icy no matter how hard I tried (I do have a beating heart after all). It's a good benchmark to shoot for though. That's all.

Nomination 15: Doubt (2009) - Best Actress

Ah, doubt. I never seen anyone wield that much power and still look that scary in a habit before. Have you? Don't mess with a sister, that's what I took away from this.

Nomination 16: Julie and Julia (2010) - Best Actress

Another biopic, dead on. I told you she was good. I love the energy and pure happiness that she radiates as Julia Child. It once again gives the world a new perspective to consider when judging a figure they thought they knew, but I also love that it gave Meryl space to grow and be more jubilant on screen then ever before.

Nomination 17: The Iron Lady (2011) - Best Actress

And last but not least, her she is, Lady Thatcher. I've seen a lot of biopics, but don't recall ever seeing a physical transformation like this. Not only in terms of hair and make-up but PHYSICAL attributes, like keying into Margaret's shuffle and slumping. Of course the accent is there again as well, not to mention the stinging power that only Meryl can inflict. A truly awe inspiring performance. Whether awe inspiring enough to take on Miss Viola, we'll have to see.

The last time Meryl took home a golden statuette was 30 YEARS ago. Sunday is set to be a dramatic and poignant evening, however the Best Actress race turns out. Will Meryl's streak finally end or will Viola garner the honor of being the second African-American woman to take home the Best Actress Oscar (Halle Berry took home the first for Monster's Ball)? Tune in to find out!

2 comments:

  1. There is truly no one in the biz like Meryl. She's me pal, she should certainly never apologize for any performance she's ever given, and she has done battle every day of her life. When she looks back, she shouldn't have any doubts. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, who was a wee bit incorrect in her prediction, eh? Thought Viola was better, did ya? Thought Meryl couldn't beat the smart, kind, and important Abeline, did ya? Wrong! You probably assumed Viola COULDN'T lose as she already had Oprah's stamp of approval. See, Oprah can't get everything she wants just yet. Perhaps we aren't destined to live under Oprah's tyrannical leadership as World Ruler after all. Hahahahahaha! Go Meryl (three time Oscar-winning acting extraordinaire)! If only her children were more attractive, she would truly have it all...

    ReplyDelete